The OF Blog: Currently reading Kate Beaton's new book, Hark! A Vagrant

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Currently reading Kate Beaton's new book, Hark! A Vagrant


I am currently reading Canadian comics writer (and history/anthropology grad) Kate Beaton's just-released Hark! A Vagrant, which collects several of the history and literature-themed webcomics that she's released over the past few years.


One of the blurbs compared its biting wit and oddball humor to the venerable The Far Side and for me that comparison is not far off.  Virtually every one of the strips I've read so far (roughly 30 pages, although I've read a few in the middle of this 166 page book) has made me smile, if not chortle in a few places.  The case of the literary/film Watsons in particular was very well-done.  Hopefully there will be some readers willing to give Beaton a look-over, as this is going to be a keeper for me for years to come.

3 comments:

K.C. Shaw said...

I just put that book on my 'buy' list after seeing it mentioned on Boing Boing. I love that artwork!

Bibliotropic said...

I really enjoy that webcomic. I haven't bought the book, but I've read many of her comics and love her sense of humour. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Simon Fletcher said...

Kate Beaton is amazing

 
Add to Technorati Favorites