The OF Blog: wotmania shutting its doors after almost 12 years

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

wotmania shutting its doors after almost 12 years

This was just announced about a half hour ago. Apparently the final posts will be in either August or September, to give time for a transitioning of materials. As a moderator/Administrator there for its Other Fantasy section (despite my decision last month to pretty much leave it), there are a few emotions tied in, some of them sad, but more of them of a cheerful, resigned note. However, there were a lot of things that I and others on the OF Admin Team had posted over the years, so expect to see in the coming days and weeks, a lot of activity as older, pre-Blog interviews are reposted here, along with the occasional review. There is a good chance that some of my colleagues will be posting here again, so for those who've grown bored with my reviews and commentaries, there may be others with whom you can grow bored as well!

So yeah, that's about it. Other than wotmania 1998-2009 RIP.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been a wotmania lurker for about as long as the site has been up. I'm a bit sad to see it go, but my visits have trailed off quite a bit over the years. Anyhoo, I look forward to seeing new posters over here.

P.S. Yes, I do often think of you as DF before Larry, but I'm getting better at that I swear! Really!

Larry Nolen said...

You better get used to it, since I would have switched to my real first name there several years ago, if the ID features there would have allowed it.

I know for a near certainty that Jake/Alric will be back on an occasional basis in the future, but I'm uncertain about the others. Depends on who asks and if I like their work, I guess :P

RobB said...

I've been lurking at wotmania for a while and made the occasional posts, but regardless of that, it is sad to see such a strong genre community closing.

Larry Nolen said...

Rob, I'm suspecting something like what happened with Wotism will happen here. Already people are talking about establishing 1-2 sites-in-exile or buying everything from the webmaster and running it themselves. I don't know what I'll do in regards to the Other Fantasy part, but there are discussions there as well about creating a forum (Yuku maybe?) and having this blog integrated into it.

All I know is that I'll be adding quite a bit of archived stuff here in the next few months.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites