The OF Blog: MRI results

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

MRI results

Received a call back from the orthopedic surgeon an hour ago. MRI results were much better than had been anticipated. Turns out that my left knee has the exact same problem as my right (malformed patella that is much "looser" than it should be) and that with extensive physical therapy, I should be able to avoid surgery, as there isn't any significant meniscus damage.

So yeah, that means I'll be doing some grueling exercises (about damn time!) and hopefully that, with the resultant weight loss, will have my knee feeling much, much better by the summertime.

6 comments:

Charles said...

Take care and good luck with the therapy!

Larry Nolen said...

Now that I know the numbing pain I was feeling was from my patella shifting, I can use my recumbrent exercise bike without worrying about inflicting further damage on my knee, so back to work I go!

And since I know (from previous rehab) that the bike will be part of my physical therapy, I'm going to be using it more now, especially since I'll be off work for at least one more day due to icy weather here.

Joe said...

No surgery? Bonus!

Larry Nolen said...

Very much so, although I know from experience that the physical therapy and work will take its toll for a while. I feel much better these past couple of days when I didn't have to stand/walk for hours on end on concrete.

Unknown said...

WTF? I'm gone for like half a day and the world goes to hell in a handbasket. John Updike passed away, RoF and WOTmania are going the way of the dinosaur, and your knee is screwy!

That's it. I'm not taking a vacation again. This must be what a god must feel like when it goes off to do something else only to find out that the pesky humans have screwed things up again...

I hope everything works out for you, Larry. It would suck if you had to go through surgery. But you're smart, so I suspect that physical therapy will work out :).

Cole said...

That's good news, though therapy is never "fun!"

 
Add to Technorati Favorites